Here’s what’s going on in Coney Island on July 4 for Independence Day:
Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest
- The annual hot dog-eating contest will return to the corner of Surf and Stillwell Ave. in Coney Island on the fourth of July. Will Joey Chestnut break his own mark from last year?
- Live coverage will begin at noon on ESPN 2. There is always a big crowd, and this year the weather is expected to be nice, so it would be best to show up early if you want a decent view of so make sure you show up early.
UFL World Cup
- The Urban Fitness League World Cup (UFL) will take place at 6 p.m. at the Ford Amphitheater. The UFL is a professional league set to debut next year consisting of athletes who compete via a variety of athletic stunts and fitness moves.
- Among the guest stars slated to appear at the event include Jim Jones, Mario Lopez, Tyson Beckford, and Dave East.
- Shortly after the UFL World Cup gets underway, the Cosmos will play host to the Indy Eleven at MCU Park at 7:30 p.m.
- More fireworks! No matter what you are doing during the day, you can still head to the boardwalk at night for classic Independence Day fireworks between 9:30 and 9:45 p.m.
- NYC beaches, including Coney Island, Brighton Beach, and others, are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
For more news about Coney Island, follow @coneynews on Twitter or ConeyIslandNews on Facebook.