The two NYPD officers accused of raping a teen in Coney Island last month were arraigned Monday on a 50-count indictment including charges of first-degree rape, first-degree criminal sexual act, second-degree kidnapping, official misconduct, according to the Brooklyn District Attorney.
Detectives Eddie Martins and Richard Hall, who turned themselves in Monday morning, face up to 25 years behind bars. Hall is being held on $150,000 bail and Martins on $250,000 bail.
Following a car stop on Sept. 15, the detectives asked the 18-year-old victim what she wanted to do to avoid being arrested after she was found in possession of marijuana. The officers allegedly then proceeded to take turns sexually assaulting her in a police van while she was handcuffed, and Detective Martins raped her. The detectives were originally carrying out a buy and bust operation within the area encompassing Coney Island’s 60th precinct, but ditched their posts without permission.
The victim was taken to Maimonides Hospital the night of the incident and a rape kit matched both of the defendants, according to the DA.
“It is incomprehensible that two veteran NYPD detectives would allegedly commit such an outrageous act,” Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez said. “They took an oath to protect and serve, but allegedly violated that oath by raping a young woman who was in their custody. We will now seek to hold them accountable for this flagrant betrayal of public trust.”
The victim’s lawyer, Michael David, told Coney Island News on Friday that reports of indictments in the case “validates everything she has been saying… that she was kidnapped, sexually assaulted and raped and thrown onto the street.”
Martins and Hall were ordered to return to court on Jan. 18 of next year.